King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals was established by a Royal Decree dated 5 May 1383 Hijri (23 September 1963). It was then named the College of Petroleum and Minerals. On 05/01/1395 Hijri (17 January 1975), a Royal Decree was issued to change the College's name to the University of Petroleum and Minerals, and on 23/04/1407 Hijri (25 December 1986), the University's name was changed to King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals following the Custodian of The Two Holy Mosques' visit to the university.
Since its inception, the University has witnessed a major development in terms of the number of students enrolled as well as the number of graduates and the member of the members of the teaching staff and other employees. This development has been also reflected in all the facilities of the University. The number of students who enrolled in the University when it opened its doors on 23 September 1964 was 67. The University has been increasingly growing since then and the number of its students registered over 10,000 in the academic year 2005/2006.
The first batch of students who graduated from the University in 1391/1392 Hijri (1971/1972), included four students who received a Bachelor of Science degree from the Faculty of Engineering Sciences. By the end of the year, the total number of students who graduated from the University and who received a Bachelor's, Master's or Ph.D. degree from the University's seven faculties, registered approximately 18,500 students:
- The Faculty of Engineering Sciences
- The Faculty of Applied Engineering
- The Faculty of Science
- The Faculty of Industrial Management
- The Faculty of Environmental Design
- The Faculty of Science, and Computer Engineering
- The Deanship of Graduate Studies