Saudi Arabian state was formed on reformist call, the early Islamic laws are at the base of this reformist call. e.g. promoting virtue, prohibiting vice, application of Islamic Sharia, reforming creed, abandoning deviations etc.
Basic Law of Governance:
Royal Order No. (A/90) dated 02-03-1992 (G), with the help of Allah the Almighty, We Fahad Bin AbdulAziz Al Saud King of Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, in accordance with what public interest entails and for national development in different fields, and to strive for realization of set goals, We Ordered:
Issuance of Basic Law of Governance in attached format.
With implementation of these laws,
work will continue with all the laws, orders, and decisions in force, until their amendment for the consistency with this.
This System will be published in official gazette and will take effect from its publication.
Part One - General Principles:
The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia is a sovereign Arab Islamic state. Its religion shall be Islam and its constitution shall be the Al Qur'an (Book of Allah) and the Sunnah (Traditions) of His Messenger - may Allah’s Blessings and Peace be upon him - state language shall be Arabic and its capital shall be the city of Riyadh.
The holidays of the state shall be Eid Al Fitr and Eid Al Adha, and its calendar shall be the Hijri calendar.
The Flag of the state shall be as follows:
- Its color shall be green.
- Its width shall be two-thirds to its length.
- Centered therein shall be the expression “There is no God but Allah and Mohammed is the Messenger of Allah”, with an unsheathed sword under it.
- The flag may never be flown at half-mast.
- The law shall set forth the provisions appertaining thereto.
The emblem of the state shall be two crossed Swords with a Date Palm Tree in the middle of the upper space between them. The law shall set forth the Anthem and Medals of the state.
Part Two - System of Governance:
- The system of governance in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia shall be Monarchical.
- Governance shall be limited to the sons of the founder King AbdulAziz Bin AbdulRahman Al Faisal Al Saud, and the sons of his sons. Allegiance shall be pledged to the most suitable amongst them to reign, based on the Al Qur'an (Book of Allah) Most High and the Sunnah (Traditions) of His Messenger.
- The call for the pledge of allegiance to the King and the selection of the Crown Prince shall be in accordance with the Pledge of Allegiance Commission's Law.
- The Crown Prince shall devote himself exclusively to the office of the Crown Prince and shall perform other duties assigned to him by the King.
- The Crown Prince shall assume the powers of the King upon his death until the Pledge of Allegiance is given.