About the Committee:
The Committee of the Deans Faculties of Medicine was formed per the recommendations presented in the first meeting between Deans of the Faculties of Medicine in KSA Universities which was held on Wednesday and Thursday 13-14 Safar 1429 Hijri (20-21 February 2008) in Taibah University in Madinah. The participants recommended the formation of a Preparatory Committee headed by Dr. Khalid Bin Abdul Ghaffar Bin Abdul Rahman, Dean of the Faculty of Medicine of Al-Imam Muhammad Ibn Saud Islamic University, with the following members:
Committee of Deans Faculties of Medicine:
|Dr. Adnan Bin Abdullah Al Mazrou'||Dean of the Faculty of Medicine - King AbdulAziz University Jeddah|
|Dr. Khalid Bin Redha Murshed||Dean of the Faculty of Medicine - Taibah University Madinah|
|Dr. Talal Bin Abdullah Al Maliki||Dean of the Faculty of Medicine - Taif University Taif|
The Preparatory Committee shall take care of the preparation of a conception of the Tasks, Selection Method, and Term of the Chairman as well as the formation of the Committee's Secretariat, and appointment of the Secretary-General. The Committee shall be initially based at Taibah University. The Preparatory Committee shall define the components of the Work Plan for the Committee of Deans, the powers of the Committee of Deans, and the ways to translating the recommendations into action. The Preparatory Committee shall submit its proposals before the date of the next meeting.
The Committee of the Deans Faculties of Medicine in Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
The implemention of Regulations, Governing the work of the Committee.
The Committee's Meeting which is scheduled in advance by the Committee.
The body responsible for organizing the Committee's meetings including setting Agenda in coordination with the Members of the Committee, following-up on the implementation of Decisions, and Recommendations made by the Committee as well as maintaining the Committee's Minutes of meetings, and all other Documentation.
Objectives of The Committee:
- Exchange Experiences, Expertise, and Successful Practices at the different levels of Medical Education in Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
- Unify Efforts, and Cooperation in common Academic, and Administrative issues.
- Encourage, and Support joint Medical Research.
- Curricula Development.
- Determine Medical Graduates' specifications, and improve the Quality of Medical Education outcomes.
- Facilitate the transfer of students from one faculty to another in accordance with the regulations.
- Develop Supporting Programs, and provide support to Students and Graduates.
- Adopt, and Support the development of programs aimed at developing the Teaching staff, Staff members, and continuing Education.
- Support newly established faculties to overcome the obstacles that they may encounter.
- Identify the most important, and prominent problems facing Medical Education in Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, and propose appropriate Solutions.
The Committee Members:
The Fifth Meeting of the Committee of Deans was held on Wednesday, 18 March 2009 (21 Rabee Al-Awwal 1430 H) in the College of Medicine at the Qassim University.The Meeting discussed a range of topics with the aim to develop the Faculties of Medicine in Kingdom of Saudi Arabia as follows:
- Proposing a Mechanism to support newly established colleges.
- Obstacles facing Internships of Medical Fellows.
- Proposing a joint Mechanism to form Questions for the Faculties of Medicine in Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
- Scientific promotions in the Faculties of Medicine.
- Workshop on the preparation of Health Leaders in participation with Deans.
The Implementing Regulations of The Saudi International Medical Education Conference (SIMEC):
The organization of Scientific Conferences, and Meetings is among the most prominent activities of the Saudi Society for Medical Education (SSME). Such Conferences, and Meetings aim at enriching Scientific Research, and the Exchange of Knowledge, and Expertise to develop Medical Education.
The Scientific Committee of the Saudi International Medical Education Conference (SIMEC) which was organized in King Fahd Medical City in Riyadh from 21-24 Rabee Al-Thani 1429, Hijri (27-30 April 2008 Gregorian), recommended that it is necessary to continue with the organization of conferences under the umbrella of SSME, and in coordination with the Committee of the Deans of the Faculties of Medicine in Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
In its Third Meeting dated 22 Rabee Al-Thani 1429, Hijri (28 April 2008 Gregorian), SSME Board of Directors approved a proposition that MMSE takes care of SIMEC Management in coordination with the Committee of the Deans of the Faculties of Medicine in Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. The Committee approved in its Second Meeting dated 21/05/1429 Hijri SSME's request, to organize SIMEC every Two years starting from 2010 (G) in cooperation with the Committee, SSME will prepare a detailed concept.
SSME: The Saudi Society for Medical Education.
The Committee of Deans: The Committee of the Deans of the Faculties of Medicine in Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
SIMEC: The Saudi International Medical Education Conference:
The Regulations: SIMEC Implementing Regulations:
Second: SIMEC Management:
SSME shall form SIMEC Management Higher Committee, and shall appoint the Chairman of the Committee and define its duties. All SIMEC Committees listed under 'Third' below are linked to the Higher Committee. The Chairman of the Higher Committee or his Deputy will be responsible for Communication, and Coordination with other relevant authorities in relation to all SIMEC related issues.
Third: SIMEC Committees:
The Scientific Committee: SSME shall form the Scientific Committee and define its functions.
The Organizing Committee: SSME shall select the appropriate body to host the Conference, and the hosting body shall nominate the members of the Organizing Committee, and define the functions of the Committee whose Chairman shall be a member of SIMEC Higher Committee.
Other Supporting Committees: SIMEC organizer (the deanship of the concerned faculty) shall set up other Supporting Committees, and follow up on their Establishment.
Fourth: SIMEC Budget:
- SSME shall coordinate with the organizer to propose a Budget, and to determine the Financing Sources, and how to spend the allocations.
- SSME's share of SIMEC net income shall be 40% and SIMEC organizer's share shall be 60%.
Fifth: Controls Applicable to The Selection of SIMEC Organizer:
The following points shall be considered when selecting SIMEC hosting body:
- Ease of Travel, and availability of Air, and Ground transportation to the place where the Conference is organized.
- Ability to host at least five International Speakers.
Availability of suitable halls to host the Conference as follows:
- A Large Hall to accommodate at least 500 persons.
- Four Discussion Rooms, and Workshops to accommodate 40 persons each.
- An Exhibition Hall with Show Platforms measuring at least 400 square meters.
- A Showroom measuring at least 200 square meters to display posters.
- A Dining Area that can accommodate up to 300 persons.
- Availability of necessary Modern Audio-visual devices.
- Availability of Internet connection.
- A Meeting Room that can accommodate at least 20 persons to organize Meetings on the sidelines of the Conference.
- Availability of Hotels, and Accommodation appropriate for the Conference guests.
- Fill in the Conference Hosting Application attached to the Regulations.
Sixth: Session of The Conference:
SIMEC shall be held in April or May every Two years starting from 2010 (G), provided that, it does not coincide with similar Global Conferences.
Seventh: Approving The Hosting Body:
SSME shall call for potential hosts to submit a hosting application at least 1.5 years before the date of the Conference. SSME will scrutinize the applicants, and select the applicant that it believes to be appropriate.
Allah is the Grantor of Success....
SSME Office in Riyadh
11 Dhu Al-Qi'dah 1429 Hijri (9 November 2008)
* Approved by the SSME Board of Directors on 17/11/1429 Hijri (15 November 2008)
"Preparing Academic Leaders" among the Deans of the Faculties of Medicine in Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. Deans of the Faculties of Medicine in Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, will attend a workshop to receive leadership skills certificates in Medical Education from 12 to 17 July 2009 (G) in Edinburgh, England.
The Workshop will be held with support from the Ministry of Education, and will be implemented by the Association for the Study of Medical Education (ASME).
Functions and Powers of The Committee:
- Raise, and discuss issues of mutual concern, and come up with appropriate recommendations.
- Propose appropriate solutions to the problems facing medical education in KSA.
- Form sub-committees, and define their functions.
- Adopt implementing regulations of the Committee.
- Approve the Committee's work plan, and supervise its implementation, and activation.
- Select the Committee's Chairman, and Deputy Chairman in accordance with Articles 5 and 6 of these Regulations.
- Coordinate with the concerned bodies, and associations to achieve the Objectives of the Committee.
All the Deans of Government, and Private Medical Colleges in Kingdom of Saudi Arabia who are officially appointed by the Minister of Education or the competent official authorities.
The Committee's Chairman and Deputy Chairman:
The Committee's Chairman:
The Chairman of the Committee shall be appointed by majority vote for a 2-year term, that may be renewed only once. The Chairman shall manage Meetings, address relevant Authorities, and coordinate with the Committee's Secretariat to Regulate, and Monitor the implementation of the decisions, and recommendations made by the Committee.
In the case of the end of the Chairman's deanship, the Deputy Chairman will take office until the first meeting of the Committee in which a new Chairman shall be appointed.
The Committee's Deputy Chairman shall be appointed by majority vote for a 2-year term, that may be renewed only once. In case the Chairman is absent, the Deputy Chairman will manage Meetings, address relevant Authorities, and coordinate with the Committee's Secretariat to Regulate, and Monitor the implementation of the decisions, and recommendations made by the Committee.
Secretary General of The Committee:
The Committee's Secretary General will be appointed from the members of the Committee or from outside for a 5-year term. The Secretary General must have a background in Medical Education, and be serious, and be flexible throughout his communications.
The Committee's Secretary:
The Committee's Secretary shall be appointed by the Secretary General, and will take care of all Secretarial work, and communicate with the members.
Functions of The Committee's General Secretary:
- Prepare agendas for all meetings of the Committee in coordination with the Chairman or Deputy Chairman, and members of the Committee.
Agendas shall be handed over to all members at least two weeks before the Committee's meeting.
- Prepare Minutes of Meetings, and send them to Members within one week from the date of the meeting.
- Monitor the implementation of the Committee's decisions, and recommendations.
- Maintain Records, and Documents of all the Committee's activities.
Periodic Meetings of The Committee:
- The Committee shall meet periodically at least twice a year.
The Committee's Decisions:
- The Committee's decisions shall be taken by majority vote. In the case of a tie vote, the Chairman shall have a decisive vote.
- The Committee, shall submit its recommendations, to His Excellency the Minister of Education within three weeks of its Meeting.
Controls Applicable to The Selection of Topics on the Agenda of the Committee's Meetings:
- Issues of common interest.
- The subject, of the issue shall be submitted with a summary on the issue to the Committee's Secretariat three weeks prior to the date of the meeting.
Controls Applicable to The Committee's Meeting Agenda:
The agenda shall consist of the following:
- Follow-up on the previous minutes.
- Scheduled meeting topics.
- Any other issues.
- Review of recommendations presented in the meeting.
- Deciding on the date, and venue of the next meeting.
- Deciding on the next meeting's agenda.
Members of The Committee of Deans:
For Deans of the Faculties of Medicine in KSA Universities