The generous support which the The Custodian of The Two Holy Mosques King Abdullah Bin AbdulAziz, -May his soul rest in peace - provided, has played an active role in the progress, and development of the concepts of the Nanotechnology in King AbdulAziz University, King Saud University, and King Fahd University of Petroleum, and Minerals; these universities have made rapid strides towards great Scientific achievements, Contributing to the development of the Nanotechnology in KSA.
The three above universities had managed much progress in the Nanotechnology development, including the following:
The International Assessment Program:
Given the importance attached to the Ministry, and to the Centers of Research Excellence, Ministry is seeking to ensure these centers to get leading, and prestigious scientific position locally, and globally. The Ministry has approved the International Program for the Assessment of the Centers of Research Excellence which, aims at following up the work, and activities of these centers through periodic visits.
To achieve the utmost benefit from the International Program for the Assessment of the Centers of Research Excellence, it was agreed with an international scientific institution to oversee the program. This institution was asked to carry out periodic visits to the centers. The visits are made by several teams of experts from around the world with scientific contributions in research fields.
The assessment team in each center is formed of five international experts; including two experts who are specialized in the management of scientific research centers, and three who are specialized in research centers. This diversity in specialization is aimed at comprehensively considering the centers in terms of work progress, management, significance, and the research areas targeted by the centers.
The Ministry extended support to 14 Research Excellence Centers during the First, and Second phases. The Ministry supported the following eight (8) Research Centers in First phase:
- Center of Research Excellence in Engineering Materials
- Center of Research Excellence in Medical Genomics
- Center of Research Excellence in Petroleum, and Petrochemicals Refining
- Center of Research Excellence in Date Palm
- Center of Research Excellence in Biotechnology
- Center of Research Excellence in Environmental Studies
- Center of Research Excellence in Renewable Energy
- Center of Research Excellence in Hajj and Umrah
In the Second phase, the Ministry supported the following six (6) Research Centers:
- Center of Research Excellence in the Development of Science, and Mathematics Education
- Center of Research Excellence in Corrosion
- Center of Research Excellence in Contemporary Issues Jurisprudence
- Center of Research Excellence in Water Desalination
- Center of Research Excellence in Osteoporosis
- Center of Research Excellence for Information Security
The Regular Visits Program includes two visits to each center. The first visit is organized one year after the establishment of each center and is aimed at assessing the Research Excellence Centers in terms of the following:
- The centers' commitment in achieving the objectives, and tasks which are agreed upon in the offers, and contracts that the Ministry signed with the centers.
- The quality of the centers' research programs, and their pace with global trends in the subject of interest.
- The effectiveness of administrative, and financial procedures adopted for the management of the centers.
The Second visit is organized three years after the establishment of the research excellence centers and aims at assessing the centers in terms of the following:
- The measurement, and assessment of the centers' outcomes, and achievements.
- The significance, and the expected impact of the centers' outcomes, and achievements.
- The centers' plans.
The Scientific Research Measurement and Assessment Indicators Program:
Scientific Research Assessment indicators are important because they offer a clear, and accurate picture of the reality. The used indicators include the spending on scientific research indicator. This indicator is among the indicators which clearly illustrate the existing scientific research activity. However, such indicators do not reflect the outcomes of scientific research against the expenses. The spending indicator measures the scientific research inputs but does not measure the outputs.
Furthermore, the measurement of scientific research largely depends on quantitative measurement indicators, not qualitative ones. In other words, these quantitative indicators focus on the measurement of the size of the existing scientific research activity and development, contrary to qualitative indicators, which put focus on the outcomes of scientific research, and the benefits made from these outcomes given the difficult measurement of the outcomes of many scientific research whose impact may appear after a long time.
The Scientific Research Indicators of the Ministry of Education - Higher Education :
The measurement of the situation of scientific research in KSA universities using accurate specific measurement indicators is a priority of the Ministry's Department of Educational Affairs which has paid special attention to this.
The Ministry's Department of Educational Affairs formed a work team to design measurement indicators, and assess the situation of scientific research in KSA universities to figure out the situation of scientific research in universities as well as the strengths, and weaknesses of relevant elements, and effects. The Department seeks to present indicators that are in line with the current situation, and nature of the universities.
The designed indicators, accurately and effectively reflect the situation of scientific research. They allow connecting and comparing the set indicators to obtain accurate information given the diverse elements of these indicators. The number of the adopted measurement indicators is 42 divided into many areas. The approved scientific research measurement, and assessment form is divided into the following six areas:
- Researchers, and Competencies.
- Financial Support.
- Scientific Research.
- Training, and Capacity Building.
- Postgraduate Studies.
Each of the above sections includes several relevant indicators. As seen in the above sections, the elements of indicators are focused on scientific research inputs including the percentage of expenses on scientific research, the number of research performed, and graduated students, and the availability of infrastructure such as laboratories. Other elements are associated with the outcomes of scientific research including, for example, the number of published scientific researches and books, patents, and received scientific awards.
Accurate scientific indicators used to measure the situation of scientific research assist in and contribute to producing an accurate, and realistic picture of the existing scientific research activity, and thus contributing to the future planning of the scientific research activity as well as to addressing existing deficiencies, and problems based on realistic scientific reading, and enhancing strengths to achieve utmost benefits from the scientific research activity which is a significant indicator to activate scientific research in universities. Scientific research is one of the key roles played by universities which also provide education, and other services to the society.
The first workshop: Research Excellence Centers in Kingdom of Saudi Arabia - Aspirations, and Challenges
Files and Documents:
- The Research Excellence Centers' Brochure
- Submission of Offers to Research Excellence Centers
- Rules Regulating Research Excellence Centers
- Rules Regulating Promising Research Centers
- Indicators of Scientific Research Measurement, and Assessment in KSA Universities
Ministry of Education
The Ministry's Department of Educational Affairs
Secretariat of the Research Excellence Centers
Tel.: 00966 11 4753000