The National Strategy on Drug Control:
The National Strategy on Drug Control was approved in the Council of Ministers' Decision No. 332 Dated 12/11/1430 AH, (31-10-2009 G) is an early response by the Saudi Society to the Drugs Phenomenon, and its potential evolution. The Strategy aims at protecting the Society against the risks of Drugs,, and Psychotropic substances. It seeks to reduce the size of the Drugs Phenomenon, and minimize Addiction levels by the following:
- Defining the Types, Characteristics, and causes of Drug Abuse in KSA.
- Collecting, and Studying Regulations, Agreements, the Council of Ministers' Decisions, and Royal Decrees on the Drug Control, and Psychotropic substances.
- Developing protective plans.
- Developing existing Therapeutic plans, and Programs.
- Developing Rehabilitation, and Reintegration plans, and Programs.
- Activating, and developing Bilateral, Regional, and International cooperation in Drug Control.
- Developing Drug Control means.
Workshop on Drug Control:
The Committee's Secretary General gave instructions to organize a workshop with the competent authorities. The workshop was held on Monday, 09/05/1430 AH, (04-05-2009 G) in the Committee's Head Office. Participants and Experts from all the parties concerned with the implementation of the National Strategy on Drug Control attended the workshop, which addressed the Seven Objectives which the society seeks to achieve, and that are introduced in the Strategy.
The workshop was aimed at the following:
- Discussing the achievements that have been made in the Strategy.
- Discussing the Barriers, that prevent the concerned parties from performing their Duties, which are associated with the Goals set in the National Strategy.
- Discussing the Actions, that have been taken by the concerned Parties, to achieve the Goals set in the Strategy.
- Putting forward, appropriate proposals to achieve the Objectives of the National Strategy.
- Putting forward, recommendations on the Implementation of Modalities, and the Future performance steps needed to achieve the Seven Objectives of the Strategy.
A Committee was formed of most the bodies concerned with Drug Control at the different levels to develop Final Recommendations in this regard. The Committee made several Executive Recommendations, to promote Teamwork. Below is a summary of the Committee's general recommendations.
Each party, that have a role in Drug Control, sets up a Specialist Scientific Team to study the Objectives, and Roles set in the Strategy, and to develop a plan that aims at:
- Reviewing the feasibility of the Body's Operations in drug control.
- Developing recommendations, on the development of the Body's Performance Operations.
- Developing an Annual Plan, for the body that is integrated with the National Strategy, and that achieves its objectives, each body in its respective area of competence.
- Urging the Bodies, and Authorities to submit to the Secretariat of the National Committee their Plans, Programs, and Proposals that aim at achieving the Objectives of the National Strategy in relation to drug control within Two Months from the receipt of these recommendations.
- Requesting the concerned Bodies, to fill in the performance Measurement Form, that the Committee's Secretariat distributed in the workshop.
- Requesting each party, to appoint a general coordinator to be the vocal point between it, and the Secretariat of the National Committee, to follow up on the implementation of the Strategy by the Body, and Review the teamwork progress made by other bodies.
- The general coordinator needs to have Powers, and must have a Science Major Degree. He/she needs to be professional in an area with interest to his/her Employer.
- A meeting was held between the Academic Research Centers, and the Committee's Secretariat to discuss the topics of Researches, and Studies,
and to define the research works to be completed over the coming year.
- A specialized meeting was held with institutions operating in awareness to develop a consolidated awareness work plan.
- A specialized meeting was held to Review Therapeutic Plans.
The Strategy on Drug Control and Dealing with Drug Abuse and Addiction:
The main goal, behind Drug Control is to protect the health of individuals against substance abuse which badly affects their Health, Minds, and Conduct. The more drugs negatively affect the Minds, and Conduct of individuals, the more measures are taken to control them.
If individuals lose Social Legibility because of their conduct which is the result of the loss of their minds, they become like snakes even at home, and they become Sick persons, who need Treatment, and Rehabilitation to become productive members of the society.
Confrontation and Treatment require more comprehensive understanding of Addiction and Drug Abuse:
Some people, restrict their primary understanding of the phenomenon of drug abuse to the use of Illegal Doping or Retarding Substances.
However, given the rise of the phenomenon of addictive substances (Alcohol, Volatile Substances, prescribed Addictive Substances, abuse of Medical Drugs, and Illegal Drugs) use, we should understand the phenomenon as a phenomenon of Addiction and Abuse of Drugs, that has serious effects on the Mind, it is not a phenomenon of Using Illegal Drugs.
Levels of Confrontation of Abuse of Drugs and Psychotropic Substances:
Adopting a Research, and a Scientific-based study, the General Secretariat of the National Committee on Drug Control designed a form to confront the phenomenon of the Abuse of Drugs, and Psychotropic Substances. This form requires the confrontation of the phenomenon by Social, and Security Measures.
First: Stages of Confronting Drug Abuse and Addiction:
Confronting the phenomenon of the Abuse of Drugs, and Psychotropic Substances, that badly affect individuals' Health, and Conduct as well as the Security of the Society, it requires five levels of Social Measures as follows:
- The stage of bringing up individuals in an environment where the Abuse of Drugs, and Psychotropic Substances is prohibited. (Upbringing)
- The stage of warning against the Abuse of Drugs, and Psychotropic Substances, and Educating Individuals on the Harms it can inflict. (Education and Awareness)
- The stage of early Containment and Reform. (Early Intervention)
- The stage of Treatment and Rehabilitation. (Addiction Treatment)
- The stage of subsequent Care. (The Reintegration Stage)
Second: Stages of Confronting the Trafficking in Iillegal Narcotic Drugs:
- Intelligence Information.
- Border Observation, and Protection Measures.
- ID Verification, and its linkage to Intelligence Information.
- Security Surveillance, and Observation.
- Self-examination, and Scrutiny.
- Screening of Baggage, and Non-personal Materials. (Goods, Imports, and Large Shipments)
- Internal Control, and Follow-up. (Security Investigative Operations)
In consultation with the concerned Authorities, the National Committee developed an Executive Plan for each level. The Committee also designed several Projects, which would assist in directing the Society, across different Government and Private bodies, to adopt many steps that fit the requirements of steps needed to protect the Society, and its members through Professional Upbringing, Official Education, Early Containment through Employment Institutions, Guidance and Reform, and Medical Treatment.
It should be noted, that the Society has comprehensive Strategic work plans to Treat, and Rehabilitated cases of Drug Abuse, and Addiction. The National Strategy highlights the importance of the development of Methods, and Standards, and has developed an Executive Plan to achieve this Goal.
Members of the Ministry of Education's Standing Committee on Drug Control:
|Dr. Mohammed Bin Hassan Al-Sanea|| Chairman|
|Dr. Abdullah Bin Rajeh Al-Baqmi||Member |
|Mr. Mohammed Bin Abdul Aziz Al-Hizan||Member|
|Dr. Fahd Bin Abdul Mohsen Al-Misnad ||Former Member|
|Dr. Abdul Rahman Bin Abdullah Al-Saghir ||Member|
|Dr. Ibrahim Bin Abdul Mohsen Al-Zakari||Member|
|Dr. Saleh Bin Abdul Aziz Al-Nassar||Former Member|
|Dr. Abdul Aziz Bin Abdullah Al-Arini ||Member|
|Dr. Nizar Bin Hussein Al-Saleh||Member|
|Dr. Tariq Bin Saleh Al-Rayes||Member|
|Dr. Abdullah Bin Mohammed Al-Bkeiri||Member|
|Mr. Ali Bin Abdul Rahman Al-Humaidan||Member|
|Mr. Zaid Bin Ali Al-Dreihem||Member|
|Mr. Ali Bin Theeb Al-Aklabi ||Member, and Secretary General of the Committee|
- Deanships of Students' Affairs in Universities.
- Research Centers, and Specialized Research Chairs in Universities.
- The National Center for Youth Research.